Would like to share with all of you this very simple yet utterly delicious lemon cupcake recipe! I only took around an hour baking these zesty cupcakes and they turned out really soft, buttery with a tinge of lemon flavouring. If I can bake this, you definitely can too!
Let’s get started!
120g unsalted butter, softened
170g caster sugar (120g for the batter, 50g for the glazing)
120g self-raising flour
2 eggs at room temperature
1 lemon (zest and freshly squeezed juice)
1. Preheat oven to 160 °C fan forced or 180 °C otherwise.
2. Mix the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl using medium speed for about 1-2 minutes or until light and creamy.
3. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and slowly pour them into the butter and sugar mixture, mixing under medium speed at all times. Never pour in all the eggs together!
4. Next, sift and add the flour in and mix using low speed to prevent too much flour particles from flying around.
5. Stir in the lemon zest and mix well in medium speed.
6. Now your batter is ready to be scooped into the cupcake holders! Fill up each cupcake holder till about 2/3 full. It rises quite a bit as you can see from my pictures. Reduce amount in each cupcake if you prefer your cupcake to be flatter!
7. Place the cupcakes into the preheat oven and let them bake for 20 mins.
8. While baking, you can start preparing your glazing mixture. Whisk the lemon juice and the sugar together until totally dissolved.
9. Check on your cupcakes! The top should look golden brown. To check, use a toothpick/skewer to poke into the middle. When removed it should be clean without any residue on it.
10. Once they are removed from the oven, quickly spread the glazing over the top of the cupcakes. You should have left over glazing mixture which instead of throwing them away, can be used to make lemonade by just adding water to it! You can also do what I did by sprinkling some lemon zest on top of the cupcakes. But this means you have to zest an additional lemon. The zest at the top does not have much taste and is solely for aesthetic purposes only.
Make a cup of tea and enjoy your freshly baked lemon cupcake over a lazy afternoon. That’s what life should be, right?