Want to learn how to make these soft, buttery, chunky, chocolatey oatmeal cookies?
Ingredients (yield 32 cookies):
1/2 cup brown sugar (a spoonful lesser if you prefer less sweet)
1/4 cup white sugar (a spoonful lesser if you prefer less sweet)
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 plain flour
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 baking soda
pinch of salt
grounded walnuts / almond (optional)
This recipe that I have here is a modified version of Panthera’s Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from www.allrecipes.com. Based on the reviews of other bakers who used this recipe and my personal “less sweet” preference, this is the measurements of the ingredients I came up with! It is a simple recipe, great for beginners and difficult to go wrong!
See below for a step by step guide to bake these lovely cookies!
Before you start, preheat your oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
1. Cut the butter into smaller pieces and pour them in a mixer together with the brown and white sugar.
2. Mix them well into a light and creamy mixture. I’ve shown 2 photos – the top being mixed for about a minute and the bottom photo after about 5 minutes. Noticed that the colour became a little lighter and the mixture is softer and less clumpy.
3. Beat the egg into the mixture.
4. Add in vanilla essence.
5. Sift the flour into a bowl.
6. Sift the baking soda together with the flour.
7. Once the egg is fully mixed in, pour the flour and baking powder mixture in. Do it part by part to prevent excess flour from flying out while mixing and also for a more thoroughly combined mixture.
8. Add a pinch of salt in.
9. Now for the highlight, pour the rolled oats in!
10. Now, for the chocolate chips!
11. Use a spatula and mix them well. As I have some leftover almond flour from my previous macaron bakes, I added some in as well!
12. Lay your trays with baking sheets and you can prepare to bake your dough! It will be good if you have an ice cream scoop to scoop your cookie dough one by one. Otherwise, you can use 2 spoons to do this.
13. Bake for 12mins – 15mins and there you have your cookies! Timing differs as different ovens have different consistencies. For mine, I needed 15 mins for my cookies to be golden brown in colour.
Enjoy your cookies with a cup of tea this afternoon break!
Have a great weekend and happy baking!